From zucchini to butternut, nothing says “autumn” quite like the earthy, mellow taste of fresh squash. Summer yellow squash – labelled as such due to its shorter shelf life relative to winter squashes – is a member of the same plant family as pumpkins, and a very common addition to decorative Thanksgiving table displays all over North America.
In our newest Open Kitchen recipe, the sweet and mild flavour of the squash is counterbalanced by the savoury punch of fresh thyme and sweet onion. This vegetable-based dish is a great one to serve when entertaining for vegetarians, and will go great with our lemon aioli recipe from the summer of last year (served in a ramekin for easy dipping).
Savoury Squash Fritters – Ingredients
- Roughly 1 lb. yellow summer squash
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ red or spanish onion
- ½ teaspoon coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Begin by rinsing the squash, and grating the full amount – as well as the peeled onion – with a typical box grater. Drain excess moisture from both using a colander or paper towel, then move mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the whole wheat flour, egg, sugar and salt to bowl. Mix thoroughly and let rest for several minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet or large pan – add more oil as needed until there is enough to thinly cover the bottom. With the pan on medium-high heat, dollop spoonfuls of the mixture out onto the oil, and let sauté until golden-brown on the underside. Flip and flatten using a spatula, then cook until browned on other side (about 3-4 minutes).
- Repeat as needed, in batches, until all of the bowl’s mixture has been used up.
Fritters can be refrigerated overnight prior to serving (cover well with plastic food wrap). When ready to serve, warm up the fritters in the oven (at about 350 degrees Fahrenheit), then arrange on a serving tray with aioli or chutney in a central ramekin for dipping. Small appetizer forks or toothpicks will be ideal if you are serving these snacks at an open house or drop-in event!